Title: Effect of application of turmeric extract powder solution on the colour changes of non-vital teeth. (An in-vitro study).
Aim: to assess the effect of using turmeric powder extract on changes of tooth color with extra-coronal and intra-coronal bleaching methods.
Methods: Turmeric powder extract was weighted and mixed with two different hydrogen peroxide concentrations (3% and 6%) to be used as a bleaching agent. Thirty teeth were allocated into three groups (n=10): Group A: Bleaching agent (6%) was applied on the labial surface, Group B: Bleaching agent (3%) was applied inside the pulp chamber and Group C: Extra and intra-coronal bleaching techniques were used (6% and 3% respectively). A standardized access cavity was opened in the palatal surface of each tooth in both Groups B and C. Color parameters were measured using a spectrophotometer.
Results: A statistically significant difference in color difference values (E*) and enamel brightness (L*) was found between Group C and each of Groups A and B. There was no statistically significant difference in (E*) and (L*) between Group A and Group B. The highest mean value of (E*) and (L*) was found in Group C, while the least mean value was found in Group B. Conclusion: Bleaching the external and internal tooth structure with low concentrations of hydrogen peroxide solution mixed with turmeric extract has a promising effect in color enhancement.
Audience Takes Away Notes:
- Explain how the audience will be able to use what they learn?
- Using of available natural herbal product curcumin, which is the active ingredient of turmeric for teeth bleaching
- How will this help the audience in their job?
- Using a creamy form of turmeric extract powder solution (added to hydrogen peroxide solution) for extra as well as intra coronal teeth bleaching
- Is this research that other faculty could use to expand their research or teaching?
- Yes, Eventually, more future researches should be carried out with suggested outlets in improving turmeric bioavailability, bio efficacy, and proper use in the field of dentistry since using herbs and plants for dental curing became widespread native system in our life.
- Does this provide a practical solution to a problem that could simplify or make a designer’s job more efficient?
- Yes, as in the present study, the turmeric extract powder is mixed with low concentration of hydrogen peroxide bleaching solution to minimize the side effects that could arise from using higher hydrogen peroxide bleaching concentration
- Will it improve the accuracy of a design, or provide new information to assist in a design problem?
- Yes, if the turmeric extract powder is mixed with low concentration of hydrogen peroxide bleaching solution, this will minimize the side effects that could arise from using higher bleaching concentrations of hydrogen peroxide
- List all other benefits.
- Using natural products in dental curing becomes widespread native system in our life. Also,
- Using a creamy mix (hydrogen peroxide and turmeric) with an acceptable consistency will be easily applied over the tooth surface as well as inside the pulp chamber (for internal bleaching purpose)